Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Gianicolo Hill and Campo Di Fiori Market


Today, my last full day in Rome, I stayed close to home given that we have to pack tonight for our trip to the Italian Alps tomorrow.  I went back over the river to the market at Campo Di Fiori, a huge open air market that runs every day from early morning till about 2 in the afternoon.  I bought some gifts to bring home and got some veggies and spices that we need for dinner tonight.  I brought them back to the apartment, not wanting to cart it all around for the rest of my afternoon.  I grabbed a gelato for my lunch and headed out for a walk up the hill to Gianicolo Hill, a great park and lookout point right here in Trastevere.  I walked out of the immediate neighborhood to the Via Garibaldi which winds around and up the hill. I found a pedestrian short cut through the grounds of a church, San Pietro de Montorio, and then continued climbing the hill. First you come to a war memorial, commemorating a battle between Rome and France in the 19th century (the Romans lost!) and then you come to a beautiful fountain, the Acqua Paola fountain, named for Pope Paul V.  I wound up in a fun conversation with an American college student who was also doing the walk.  He’s in Rome for a short vacation on his way back to the US after a semester abroad in England.  We had a good time discussing politics and the general state of US affairs.  He’s trying to figure out how he can move to Europe when he graduates, at least for a few years.  I encouraged him to figure it out!!

I then continued up the hill and came to a park on the top of the hill, Piazzale Giuseppe Girabaldi, who was a renowned military leader of the Italian Independence movement.  The park is quite lovely, with walking paths and lots of trees so it is very shady on these hot days, and there are busts of Roman military officials lining the walkways.  There are spectacular lookout points with terrific views out over all of Rome.   There is a huge statue of Girabaldi and then a bit further on another one of his wife, Anita Garibaldi which made me laugh out loud.  She’s on a horse, which is rearing up, she’s holding a baby in one arm and has her right arm up brandishing a pistol!!  I couldn’t help but think she would make a great mascot for the gun-toting NRA folks in the US!  After wandering around up atop the hill and enjoying the vistas out over Rome I made my way back down the hill, stopping in the San Pietro church.  Apparently, this was once thought to be the place where St. Paul was crucified, hence the church, although apparently they later determined it probably wasn’t.  Legend lives on, however.

Tonight we are dining in, so that we can get packed and ready for our early departure tomorrow morning.  We’ve got a train at 8:45 to take us to Bolzano, up north in the Italian Alps.  We’ll have to leave here pretty early to get a cab to the train station. 

Pics today include shots at the Campo Di Fiori market and some shots up on Gianicolo Hill, including gun toting Anita Garibaldi!









No comments:

Post a Comment